Health & Safety
General Rules and Guidelines
The health and safety of all our young patients is paramount at Maria Fareri Children's Hospital. Our rules and guidelines help protect your child as well as you and other patients and families.
- Smoking is prohibited in all areas of Westchester Medical Center. Smoking outside is restricted to designated smoking areas.
- Your child may not leave the patient care unit without permission from your nurse.
- Take all medication only as prescribed. Do not take medication brought from home, including over-the-counter medications.
- Carefully follow diet and exercise plans.
- Please supervise your children at all times; they should not be left unattended anywhere in the hospital.
- Please do not disconnect any monitoring equipment without the knowledge of the nurse responsible for your child's care.
- Always put the side rails up when leaving your child in their crib.
- Please inform your nurse if you are taking your child out of the neighborhood.
- Your child will be required to wear an electronic bracelet that is part of our Child Abduction Safety System.
The Child Life Playrooms, the neighborhood activity areas, Art Studio and Lion's Den computer room, are places where kids can have fun. They are places where procedures and treatments cannot be performed. We want you and your child to be able to visit the many exciting areas within the hospital. We also need to know where your child is at all times for their safety. Please let your child's nurse know if you plan to leave your neighborhood to visit another area. Your child should not leave the floor without adult supervision. All patients will have an electronic bracelet that is part of our Child Abduction Safety System.
Infection Control Issues
Hand washing: ANYONE touching your child should wash their hands first. Do not hesitate to ask if any person touching your child has washed their hands. Soap and water and special gel are readily available.
Isolation: if your child has been placed in isolation, please speak to the nurse to be sure you understand the reasons why and what precautions you and visitors need to take.