Whether you are interested in volunteering in areas with direct patient contact, or are more interested in other types of support, there are multiple opportunities for volunteers in many areas of the hospital. Some areas include:
Direct Patient Care Areas
- Library Cart: Assist patients and their families in selecting books and magazines from the mobile library cart
- Discharge Lounge: Wheel discharged patients from their room to the discharged patient pick up area
- Unit Based Action Team (UBATs): Welcome new admissions to the Medical Center through friendly patient visits
- Emergency Department Liaisons: Work with the ED staff to help patients and families with their non-medical needs
- Child Life Staff Support: Assist Child Life in activities with Pediatric patients such as arts, crafts, playing and reading
- Musician: To provide welcoming surroundings for people to heal, we want to utilize music to brighten the environment and reduce stress. Help enhance the lives of our patients and family members by bringing them the gift of your musical talent.
- Pet Therapy Support: Assist the dog handlers with visitation in patient areas
- The OPEN BOOK Program: Located in the pediatric clinics at Cedarwood Hall, these volunteers read to children in the waiting room and speak with parents about the importance of literacy.
- Eucharistic Minister
Indirect Patient Care Areas
- Courtesy Desk: Work at the Information Desk in the University Hospital or Children's Hospital, helping families and friends reach their destination within the hospital.
- Clerical: Support the Hospital staff by assisting with a wide variety of duties on nursing units, the Volunteer office and many other locations throughout the hospital.
- Wish Lists: Donations of toys and supplies are welcome, but we do have some specific requests.
- Clothing Closet: In an emergency or an accident, some patients are brought to the hospital with only the clothes they are wearing. Help us send them home in something clean and warm. Please call 914) 493-7850.
- Activity Kits: Like all children, our patients and their brothers and sisters need to keep busy. Activity kits prepared by volunteers like you are often just what they need. Learn more...
The Department of Volunteers will do our best to match new volunteers with their primary area of interest. Please be aware that not all opportunities will be available at all times. >Click here to apply