Pediatric Liver Transplant & Hepatobilliary Program
The Pediatric Liver Transplant and Hepatobiliary Program at Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital at Westchester Medical Center Medical Center proudly features a team of transplant specialists with proven track records for exceptional outcomes well above national benchmarks. Having pioneered one of the most commonly used techniques in liver transplantation, our surgical team is able to minimize operative time and blood loss.
Teaming Up for Outstanding Care
Children of all ages with complex liver disease are treated by a multidisciplinary team that includes:
- Skilled surgeons that specialize in all types of pediatric liver surgery and transplantation.
- Pediatric hepatologists with expertise in the treatment of pediatric liver disease.
- Compassionate and specialized inpatient nurses and transplant coordinators with experience in the pre- and post-operative care of pediatric transplant patients. Other team members include nutritionists, child life specialists, psychiatrists, and social workers that coordinate the care of our patients as well as their families.
- The Pediatric Transplant Team of Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital at Westchester Medical Center also is supported by colleagues trained in a myriad of pediatric subspecialties including cardiology, infectious diseases, interventional radiology, hematology/oncology, endocrinology, nephrology and neurology.
Care for a Wide-Range of Liver Conditions
Our team is versed in the care of patients with complications of portal hypertension and end-stage liver disease including:
- Acute liver failure
- Alagille Syndrome
- Alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency
- Biliary atresia
- Budd-Chiari Syndrome
- Familial & genetic cholestatic diseases
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Hepatitis (autoimmune, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, nontypeable, viral B & C)
- Liver tumors (Hepatoblastoma and Hepatocellular carcinoma)
- Metabolic liver diseases
- Portal vein thrombosis
- Pediatric Solid Tumor Program
- Primary biliary cirrhosis
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Wilson’s Disease
^back to top
Liver conditions are treated successfully through the following procedures, all of which are performed in the Children’s Surgery Center of Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital at Westchester Medical Center:
- Kasai Procedure
- Liver transplantation
- Segmental liver resection
- Shunt surgery (Meso-Rex bypass, distal splenorenal)
A Winning Roster
The core members of the Pediatric Liver Transplant and Hepatobiliary Program at Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital at Westchester Medical Center include:
- Thomas Diflo, MD, Surgical Director, Kidney Transplant Program, with significant experience in liver transplantation
- Stuart Berezin, MD, Chief, Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition
- Gregory Veillette, MD, Liver Donor Liver Program
- Richard Rosencrantz, MD, Pediatric Hepatology
- Susan Manahan, R.N., B.S.N, Pre-Liver Transplant Coordinator
- Jennifer O’Donnell, R.N., B.S.N., Post –Liver Transplant Coordinator
- Mimi Greenman, L.C.S.W., M.P.H., Transplant Social Worker
Click here for more information about the Westchester Medical Center Transplant Center. For 24-hour patient evaluation or liver transplant referral please contact the Transplant Center at (914) 493-8916.
^back to top