Un-inflated latex balloons or fragments of popped balloons are the leading cause of choking deaths among children
younger than 6 years of age.
Brightly colored latex balloons attract the attention of a curious child. Young children may suck or bite at balloons, and
fragments of popped balloons that are within reach may end up in a child's mouth and be inhaled or swallowed. A balloon
fragment could adhere to and cover the child's airway, blocking the breathing passage and causing suffocation. Because latex
balloon fragments are sticky, they are often difficult to dislodge, even using the Heimlich maneuver.
Latex balloons should not be given to children. Because they are very dangerous, it is highly recommended that
latex balloons not be used at children's events. Please consider using mylar balloons whenever possible.